At least six people had their drinks spiked at a party in downtown Nanaimo last weekend, May 6-7.
Nanaimo RCMP have issued a public service announcement warning nightclub patrons after “several fortified drink incidents” at various Nanaimo nightclubs.
RCMP were alerted to the incidents after paramedics from the BC Ambulance Service were called to help two people outside a nightclub who ‘appeared extremely intoxicated’ and had to be taken to hospital, said noted the press release.
“A subsequent investigation determined that the victims may have ingested an intoxicant without their knowledge or consent,” the statement said. “Police were later informed that it appears more than six people ingested fortified drinks.”
“It’s extremely important that clubgoers be extremely mindful of their drinks,” Const. Gary O’Brien, spokesperson for the Nanaimo RCMP, in the release.
RCMP are reminding patrons of nightclubs not to accept drinks from strangers and to keep their drinks in sight and have a friend watch the drinks when they are in the washroom or on the dance floor.
Clubgoers who feel dizzy or nauseous or have difficulty breathing should immediately alert their friends and, if necessary, seek medical attention.
Anyone with information about last weekend’s alcohol-related incidents is asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP non-emergency line at 250-754-2345 and quote case number 2022-15239.